The five-kilometre walls around the city create an unusual and evocative stroll around its history. The city walls of Pamplona are one of the most interesting and best preserved military structures in Spain and hold the status of National Monument.
As a medieval city, Pamplona surrounded itself with walls to defend itself against invaders, although it was not until the incorporation of the Kingdom of Navarre into the Crown of Castile in 1515 that its strategic location turned it into an advanced post of the Spanish crown against France.
The development of the great and formidable fortress began at that time and has its high point in the Citadel. Bastions gates, half-moons, ravelins, forts... all give the walled enclosure the sobriety and sophistication of this kind of defensive system.
Pamplona's urban development in the 20th century meant that some sections had to be demolished so that the modern city could expand. Its essence remains, however.
A walk along the path around the walls, which runs between the Media Luna and Taconera parks, combines the coldness and silence of the stones with the warm and welcoming green landscape in the background.
Medieval Pamplona's walled enclosure was initially structured around its different boroughs (San Cernin, San Nicolas and Navarrería) and made up a ring around the whole city after the Privilegio de la Unión (1423), a treaty that united the three ancient boroughs of the city. Following the annexation of Navarre to Castile in 1512, Pamplona became an advanced staging post of the Spanish crown against France, and for three centuries became the defender of the frontier against possible invasion. This explains the interest of Ferdinand of Aragon and his Hapsburg descendents in converting Pamplona into an impregnable city, and its defences were designed according to the latest military architecture.
Information provided by www.turismo.navarra.es
|The City Walls of Pamplona|